|Description:||CBT is a widely tested family of interventions based on the premise that biased cognition and behaviors contribute to maladaptive emotional responses.1-3 The number of sessions is usually limited and focused on the development of skills that will help the patient recognize and modify maladaptive thoughts or cognitive distortions.2-4 CBT-based treatment modalities may involve at-home exercises that help the patient apply CBT principles in daily life.2|
|Potentially effective for the following mental health concerns:||Bipolar disorder, Depressive disorders|
|Potentially effective in the following age groups:||Adolescent, Adult, Pediatric, Geriatric|
|Treatment setting options:||Individual, Group|
|Treatment format options:||In-person, Telephone, Online|
|Typical treatment duration:||10-20 sessions, Variable|
|Potential limitations:||Effectiveness may depend on the therapist’s expertise in CBT2|
Supporting references for the filters are as follows: Potentially effective for the following mental health concerns: Bipolar disorder3, Depressive disorders2; Potentially effective in the following age groups: Pediatric5,6, Adolescent5,7, Adult3, Geriatric8,9; Treatment setting options: Individual3, Group3; Treatment format options: In-person10, Telephone10, Online11; Typical treatment duration: 10-20 sessions, Variable2-4
- National Alliance on Mental Illness. Psychotherapy. 2020. https://www.nami.org/learn-more/treatment/psychotherapy. Accessed March 2, 2020.
- Mor, N & Haran, D. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2009;46(4):269-273.
- Swartz, HA & Swanson, J. Focus (Am Psychiatr Publ). 2014;12(3):251-266.
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies. About psychological treatment: What is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? 2020. http://www.abct.org/Help/?m=mFindHelp&fa=WhatIsCBTpublic. Accessed March 2, 2020.
- Weersing, VR et al. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2017;46(1):11-43.
- Weinstein, SM et al. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2018;48(6):797-811.
- Knutsson, J et al. Clin Psychol Psychother. 2017;24(3):589-617.
- Hall, J et al. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016;24(11):1063-1073.
- Sadler, P et al. Sleep. 2018;41(8).
- Mohr, DC et al. JAMA. 2012;307(21):2278-2285.
- Health Quality Ontario. Ont Health Technol Assess Ser. 2019;19(6):1-199.